Gig Harbor Marina and Boatyard began its’ life in 1905 as Skansie’s Ship Building Company. As this fishing boat repair shop grew, it became the largest of its’ kind on Puget Sound and had the incredible task of building the first Washington State ferries. We are extremely proud of our history and legacy of quality marine services and strive to continue to provide skillful service to our members.
Today, we are a full-service marina and boatyard centrally located in beautiful, bustling downtown Gig Harbor. With 106 slips, a 50-metric ton Marine Travelift, and special work area, we are everything a boater needs in one stop. In addition, we are the only full service haulout and repair facility in Gig Harbor, with an experienced crew to help our customers with all their boat maintenance and repair needs.
A Bottom Painter is responsible for prepping (cleaning, stripping, scraping, sanding) and painting vessels below the water line. Additionally the bottom painter may be responsible for pressure washing vessels, examining and repairing running gear and/or zincs and replacing props.
The ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, able to walk quickly to/from job locations up to 600 yards in distance, and lift up to 50 lbs are required. Must be able to work outside in various weather conditions, climb scaffolding, move heavy loads and work under vessels and in cramped spaces.
• Prepares wood, metal, fiberglass or other surfaces for painting and varnishing.
• Tape or otherwise protect surrounding surfaces such as decks, hardware, windows during work process.
• Cleans, sands, and smooth surfaces, using appropriate tools, such as scrapers, sandpaper, steel wool, or chemicals.
• Applies coats of paint, varnish, stain, enamel or lacquer, as appropriate, to decorate and protect interior and exterior surfaces, trimmings and fixtures of boats.
• Cleans brushes and work area, using solvent or soap and water.
• Sets up and dismantles staging following OSHA staging guidelines.
• Interacts with customers and has ability to assist and respond to customer questions as they relate to paint and varnish applications.
• Able to work cooperatively with other department personnel.
• Follow defined instructions and procedures in performance of tasks.
• Follow prescribed safety rules and regulations and maintain safe, clean work area.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $19.00 per hour
Masks are required inside the office and when interacting with customers out in the yard.