Gig Harbor Dragon Boat Team Flea Market is March 8 & 9
Drop off items March 2-6, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., at old Peninsula Gardens site
It’s almost time for the Gig Harbor dragon boaters’ annual flea market, and item drop-off begins tomorrow, March 2. Talk about great timing for a spot of spring cleaning!
The Gig Harbor Dragons-PenMet Parks Dragon Boat team is holding its second annual flea market March 8-9, 2019, at the former Peninsula Gardens site at 5503 Wollochet Dr. NW, Gig Harbor.
The flea market is a fundraiser for the growing Gig Harbor Dragon Boat team, which is still soaring on wings of success from a year of proud firsts in 2018. After adding two new boats to their fleet and holding a traditional dragon “awakening” ceremony last March, the local paddlers breathed new fire into their program all year.
2018 A Year of Firsts for the Gig Harbor Dragons:
- Surpassed 50 full-time members
- Created a women’s team and brought home gold at their first race
- Competed out of state (Montana and Arizona) and country (Canada and Budapest)
- Added more coaches and callers
- Developed paddler clinics
- Joined regional Dragon Boat Network
- Elevated safety protocols with CPR/AED certification
- Raised over $8,900 for Row for the Cure
- Provided 120 families with Thanksgiving meals
- Assisted with memorials at sea
- Partnered with Canoe & Kayak Race Team in Gig Harbor’s Chum Festival Race
- Created and installed new banner in slip at Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard
- Held first annual Flea Market…
“It is that time of year to clean out the closets, the shed, the work room, the garage,” said the Dragons in promotional material. “The Gig Harbor Dragons would greatly appreciate your used-but-still-in-good-condition items for our upscale flea market.”
Good condition and upscale are the key words as you rummage around for donations, advises the team. The paddlers offer this sorting yardstick: Would you give your item to your son or daughter?
See previous flea market blog for guidelines on suggested items.