Head to The Boatyard for Pumpout Meeting

Pumpout Meeting

Meeting Set at Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard for Harbor Pumpout Service

Wednesday, Aug. 23 @ 11 a.m.

Marina owners, slip owners and boaters in general are invited to a presentation and informational meeting on bringing a free pumpout service to the harbor. Come to Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard on Wednesday, Aug. 23, for the 11 a.m. gathering upstairs at the boatyard’s Northwest Maritime Academy.

Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard General Manager Ron Roark spearheaded the effort to bring the boat-side waste pumpout service to the harbor, provided by Terry & Sons Mobile Marine Pumpout Services. Now he is looking to fellow marina and slip owners and other boaters to help fund the service that is a benefit to the entire community.

Pumpout Meeting

Terry Durfee of Terry & Sons brings his mobile pumpout service to boaters free of charge. His new service in Gig Harbor is ready to go, with his boat moored at Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard for easy access to customers in the harbor.

Through federal, state and community-level funding, the pumpout service is free to boaters. It is supported through a 75/25 arrangement involving funding from a state-administered grant that covers 75 percent of costs on the condition that local communities contribute the remaining 25 percent.

Learn About Keeping ‘Clean & Green’ Pumpout Service in the Harbor

On behalf of private marinas in town, Roark approached the City of Gig Harbor, which has agreed to cover half of the 25 percent. Roark is soliciting all marinas and slip owners in the harbor to collaborate in covering the other 12.5 percent for this environmentally-conscious service.

“What a benefit this is for the harbor and the community,” said Roark, pointing out the importance of clean and green practices in our marine environment.

Read more in our earlier blog, Pumpout Service Comes to the Harbor.

Leave a Comment