Most of Skansie Brothers Park will be closed for the next nine months while improvements are made to the community’s popular gathering place on the waterfront.
A letter from the City of Gig Harbor’s construction supervisor outlined the Plaza/Lift Station #4B Improvement Project that will close much of the park next to Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard right after Labor Day. Beginning on Sept. 6, the north half of Skansie Brothers Park will be closed to the public for the duration of the project, which is planned to be completed by the end of May 2017, said George Flanigan in the letter. He went on to describe three separate improvements being made at the park.
Improvements Coming to Skansie Brothers Park
- A new building with two family restrooms with showers, two public restrooms, and a laundry facility to serve the boating community that utilizes Jerisich Dock. The current restroom facility is undersized and outdated for the number of people using the park on a daily basis, Flanigan said. Additionally, the current restrooms are frequently flooded by sea water at high tides, rendering them unusable during these events and causing salt water to enter the city’s sewer system. The finished floor elevation of the new building will be approximately three feet higher than in the current restroom to prevent flooding during high tide events. The roof of the new building will be an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessible public viewing deck.
- A new sewer lift station. The city’s sewer lift station #4B is located in Skansie Park and receives about one-third of the city’s sewer flow. The lift station has been scheduled for replacement since 2011. The new station will have increased storage capacity and improved reliability to handle Gig Harbor’s anticipated growth.
- A new public plaza with seating, shade area and open space centering around the park’s Fisherman’s Memorial.
Park, Traffic and Construction Impacts Listed
- Contractor Stellar J Corporation out of Woodland, Wash., will provide an ADA accessible route from the covered stage pavilion to Jerisich Dock, which will remain open during construction. Public notice will be given prior to periodic short-term dock closures.
- Sidewalk and parking areas in front of the park will be closed to public access throughout the project. A pedestrian detour route will be provided.
- Ongoing lane shifts and closures will occur on Harborview Drive with traffic control provided. Alternate routes are strongly recommended for through-traffic during the project.
- Access to businesses and residences will be provided throughout the duration of the project.
- Construction noise during work hours will occur, including heavy vibrations, back-up alarms and heavy equipment motor noise.
The city asks for the public’s patience and cooperation during the project and apologizes for any inconvenience caused by the work.
Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard won’t be impacted by the park closing, so don’t miss any of the “fun @ the boatyard” this fall. Concerts and other members’ events at The Club @ the Boatyard, delicious open-air Northwest fare at JW @ the Boatyard ~ come down and see us at the waterfront.