The extensive renovation going on in Skansie Brothers Park is on schedule, say city officials, and should be completed in time for summer festivities set to begin in June.
“At this point the park project is still on schedule to be completed by May 24,” said Jeff Langhelm, public works director for the City of Gig Harbor. “However, the new lawn area (between the pavilion and the new restrooms) will be closed off until June 1 to allow the roots to establish.”
That should be just in time for a popular summer event organized by the Gig Harbor Downtown Waterfront Alliance.
“Our Waterfront Farmers Market opening day is Thursday, June 1, so we are counting on a timely completion,” said Mary DesMarais, executive director of the Downtown Waterfront Alliance.
Skansie Brothers Park Project Should be Completed in Time for Summer Fun
The park improvement project next to us at Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard started last September and has been going full tilt throughout a record wet and very cold winter.
The project involves three separate improvements to Skansie Brothers Park according to signs posted at the site:
- A new, larger restroom building with two family restrooms and showers, two public restrooms and other facilities to support the boating community that utilizes Jerisich Dock. The elevation of the new building is three feet higher than the old building to prevent flooding that occurred at high tide. The roof of the building offers an ADA accessible public viewing deck.
- A new city sewer lift station with increased storage volume and improved reliability to handle anticipated growth.
- A new public plaza with seating, shaded areas and open space that centers around Gig Harbor’s “Fisherman’s Memorial” park statue.
Waterfront Park Project Nearing Completion
George Flanigan, engineering construction inspector for the City of Gig Harbor, said the city will post an update of the park project on their website in early April. (Watch for that update on this blog in the coming days.)
“One thing that will change quickly on the site is that we will be paving the roadway on March 31, weather permitting,” he said last week. “That will really change the look around here. Also, the crew is now starting to put the siding up on the building so the “Blue Box” will look a whole lot different very soon.”
As for the project completion timeline, things are looking good, Flanigan said.
“The contractor has provided the city with a schedule that shows them being done on time,” Flanigan said. “They have geared up on manpower and I am hopeful that they will finish on or before May 24, the project deadline date.”
Just in Time for High Season on the Gig Harbor Waterfront:
- Weekly Farmers Markets beginning June 1
- The annual Maritime Gig Festival June 3-4
- Summer Sounds at Skansie Concert Series beginning June 27
- And a whole lot more summer fun in the park and Gig Harbor Marina & Boatyard
Plan your special celebration at The Club @ the Boatyard and spill out into the beautiful Skansie Brothers Park. Book a relaxing stay at The Guesthouse @ the Boatyard overlooking the park. Stop by our JW @ the Boatyard food trolley and take your lobster roll or fish & chips to enjoy in the park.
It’s Summertime in Gig Harbor!